Sunday, June 3, 2012

Grandpa Green


                       

http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/157210000/157218754.JPG 



Grandpa Green
Lane Smith
August 2011


When I went to the library yesterday, I was really looking for some of the great books I've used in my classroom this year but didn't have time to blog about like this one and this one.  Then I saw GRANDPA GREEN.  First, the cover struck me, then I saw who the author was, and I had to have it!  

Lane Smith is the award winning illustrator of many of my favorite go-to books, most notably these two:


GRANDPA GREEN does not disappoint!  In it a young boy tells, in a child's simple language, of his grandfather's exciting life while the pictures illustrate that life in the garden the grandfather has nurtured.  Memories are handed down through the topiary trees that have been carefully cultivated throughout the grandfather's life.  This is a captivating story of aging, love and family.  I found myself re-reading it immediately so I could savor the pictures and the message more slowly and carefully.

I can't wait to read this to my class next year on Grandparent's Day to both the kids and their grandparents.  This is the kind of book that will lead my students to ask their grandparents what life was like when they grew up.  Perfect.


Buy it at Barnes & Noble

0 comments :

Post a Comment