Friday, July 27, 2012

Picture Book Picks ~ D5: Read the Pictures


Remember this linky party we all participated in a few weeks ago? Well there were so many great books suggested, I just had to go check out some of them myself!  So I sat in the library for a LoOOnnnng time on Wednesday with my iPad and my notebook reading post after post and any of the books that were available.  Then today, I did it all again, but at a different library.  {Hi. My name's Lynn, and I'm a book addict.}

I've decided to do a series of posts to highlight the best or most useful books I've come across.  Many of them I found through the linky, and some I found out of sheer luck!

First I want to share two great books I found that are perfect for read the pictures.  If you've been reading my posts, you know I just finished and decided to embrace Daily 5 this year.  One of the questions I had while reading D5 was about including the three ways to read a book in a 5th grade classroom.  Do 5th graders really still read the pictures? or is that just in primary?  But as I read on, the sisters showed me how to incorporate read the pictures in upper grades as well. (Chapter 4)So I went on a hunt, and came up with these guys!

This first one is brand new and oh, too cute!  Oh, No! Not Again! by Mac Barnett was released just last month, and I can't wait to read it to my class.

When the narrator doesn't earn an A on her history test, she builds a time machine to remedy the problem.  The text is very simply written in thought and word bubbles with limited narration.  I can imagine reading it to the class and have them draw the pictures they hear one day and then reading it again and show the pictures the next day.  (The opposite of the suggestion in The Daily 5.)
----------------------------------
Next up is a book that's been around a while, but I've somehow I've missed it until now!  Bamboozled is an adorable story of a young girl's weekly visit to her grandpa's house.  She knows something is wrong, but can't quite figure out what it is!  The cover hints at what it could be:
Bamboozled is very funny and not at all subtle.  Once again, I read the book without looking at the pictures, and I got the gist of the story.  But it is much sillier when you look at the pictures of paintings drinking off the kitchen table with aid of a really long straw or the marble statue chiseling away at his own lower half!  It's really, really cute!  (Note: As I was writing this post, I realized this book is out of print.  It is available at B & N and Amazon through their community booksellers. Sorry, but I couldn't just leave it out; it has a ton of potential.)

I created this Things to Think About card to include in the kids' book boxes this year.  It's kind of like a mini anchor chart.  I print them on bright colored paper and expect the kids to read the prompts before they begin reading.  Last year, we kept them in their reading folders, but book boxed for D5 will be much better; the kids will have no excuse to forget.  You can get it free by clicking the picture!

Somewhat ironically, none of these books were mentioned in the posts I read from Lindsey's linky party.

I hope this post is helpful to someone out there.  Keep an eye out for future Picture Book Posts!

0 comments :

Post a Comment