Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Daily 5. Yay or Nay?


So I just finished reading and rereading The Daily 5.  I have mixed feelings about implementing it in my classroom.  In bullet points, here's what I see as strengths and weaknesses (for me).   **Warning!  This post is a bit 'stream of consciousness' (i.e. - rambling) as I sort out my thoughts.

Strengths:
  • I love that the students are taught to be independent and the responsibility for success is put in their hands.  This is something I always strive to do - sometimes successfully, sometimes not.
  • It's a proven plan.  I know many teachers who use it and love it.  None of them are near my school.
  • The book is set up to be foolproof.  The sisters guide you through nearly every aspect of every lesson for the first 5 weeks of school!  I feel like if you follow their steps, you will succeed!
  • Oh, to not have to create and manage centers anymore!
Weaknesses:
  • I'm not sure how to fit it into my day - and still teach everything else I have to teach (math, ss, science, religion, specialty classes, etc.)
  • My room is S.M.A.L.L., y'all!  I have no idea how to add a gathering space, anchor charts, an easel for creating anchor charts, listening centers, etc.
  • We have a new P this year.  No one else in my school does The Daily 5.  Will the new P be ok with me doing something completely different than everyone else? (Not that we teach reading the same way now...)
Well.  How about that?  Writing out these pros and cons has solidified my decision.  I can see now that my 'weaknesses' were just excuses.  I am going to do it!  I have a meeting next week with the new P.  I'll clear it with her, and then I'm going to figure the rest out!  I don't really think I have time to do a true Daily 5; probably I'll do a Daily 3 like the sisters suggest at the end of the book.   It's been a long time since I changed up my plans so drastically, and it makes me a bit nervous, but I know it's what's best for my students - so bring it on!

Meanwhile I found this ridiculously cute owl themed set of D5 posters for free!  Nancy at Joy of Kindergarten offers these on Scribd.  Plus she's from Ohio - just like me!

Click the picture to go to Nancy's blog and grab your set, too.

0 comments :

Post a Comment